Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Same Page

I have  been reminded of a strategy I have used in the past. It has and can help me now. I started using this when my sons were young.
Kid's brains race as much as their little bodies do. It wasn't uncommon for me to be lost to their thought processes. If they came racing to me all excited about something they were doing, I would stop them and say some like "Hold that thought. You need to put me on the same page."
This was my way of telling them I had no idea what they were talking about. This would slow them down and they would fill in the gaps by explaining themselves better. Then, when I was up to speed, on the same page, they would tell me their latest adventure.
This has come back into practice here alot recently. Misunderstandings seem to happen way more often. Mostly when I am doing something that requires a measure of consentration. Which unfortunately at this time in my life seems to be everything I try to do.
At the worst. When I am concentrating on something or am lost in the cog fog. I try to understand what the person wants. Most times though, since I am not or have not been on the "same page" or even in the same book or library,  I anger quickly. I can't understand what they want or what needs to happen.
So now if I am doing something that has my full attention and, let's say, my son needs something. I have been trying to respond more  like this. Calmly, if possible, I say "I'm sorry. What did you say?" And then I really try to listen. If what he says is not easily understood. I pull out the old "Put me on the same page." That way he knows I am not comprehending and he will lay the ground work to get me on his "page". This helps me comprehend.
I am sorry I had forgotten this and I pray I can use it now to help us stay clear of any clashes. This week it has worked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment