Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Life Songs

I have two little birds in a cage. They are simple society finchs. They live in a small flight cage. I try my best to meet their needs. Warmth, water, food, safety. In return they give me an amazing amount of joy.
They are simple creatures.  Their cage is set in the kitchen and during the day I uncover them and they can see a small portion of the  front yard. At times I can tell that they are looking out there and listening to the wild birds that check out the feeders I have set up for those.
One of the most remarkable things I am privileged to witness from these two is their willingness to sing their songs for me. They are both males and they both have a song. Each  song is specific to it's owner and is the only one they sing. DaFinchy's song, to my ears, seems a bit more melodic. Pearl's song, seems more monotone to me. DaFinchy is freer with his song. Pearl will defer to DaFinchy and will only sing when DaFinchy is not.
I don't know what this means in the animal kingdom. Though I do know what it means to me. Their songs are a gift. Each time I look into their cage they take notice of me. There has not been a time that this hasn't happened. If I tarry for even a moment DaFinchy sings his song for me. It is his gift and he is very free with it and  seldom withholds it.  If DaFinchy pauses after his song is sung, Pearl will sing his. Though he is not as free with his, he still gives it.
They serve as a reminder to me. They remind me of a little poem I have carried in my heart for many years. I do not know the author.

He's placed me in a tiny cage
away from gardens fair.
Yet I will sing the sweetest songs
for He has placed me there.
Not beat my wings against the cage
if it's my Makers will.
But, raise my voice to heaven's gate
and sing the louder still.

I long to be like Pearl and DaFinchy. To have but one life song. One that gives Glory to my Creator, my Lord, and my Savior. To raise my voice freely when ever some one looks in. To raise my voice to Heaven's Gate and sing the louder still.


Lifesong by Casting Crowns

Empty Hands held high
Such Small sacrifice
If not joined with my life
I sing in vain tonight

May the words I say
And the things I do
Make my life song sing
Bring a smile to you

Chorus:
Let my life song sing to You
Let my life song sing to You
I want to sign your name
to the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my life song sing to You

LORD, I give my life
A Living sacrifice
To reach a world in need
To be your hands and feet

So may the words I say
And the things I do
Make my life song sing
Bring a smile to You

Chorus

Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Let my life song sing to You (x3)

Chorus (x2)

No comments:

Post a Comment