Saturday, November 24, 2012

Learning: Gleaning the Past

I have pictures of my parents and grandparents in my house. Hanging in the living room, stuck to my refrigerator, leaning on my dresser, in photo albums and on my computer. I've had a life time of access to them and hold many dear memories. Memories of which I can glean through. Memories that I use to see me through hard times.

You see, I have watched them go through hard times.

Life ebbs and flows. Life sees it's good seasons and bad. We all live it. None of us are strangers to life. We all know.

I remember, when we were little they would shelter us from those times of distress. We didn't know of their difficulties at the time, they let us grow first. Now we know in part and I remembered the grace by which they moved through those times.

As I grew older I was allowed to know pieces of their troubles. As I grew older I had better understanding. I look back and I marvel at some things. "They went through that?" "They stood strong through that?" "I remember then. They were so kind to me then. They helped me then."

They are and have always been examples for me. I hold fast to those memories and try to emulate them.

When I was a teen and into my twenties I would hold up my little finger and grab it with my other hand just below the first knuckle. I would show that much of my little finger to a friend and say "See that?" Then I'd say. "If I have that much of my mother's strength in me, just that much, I know I'll be o.k. in this life." And it is true, I believe it.

That's what looking back on their lives does for me too. I glean the examples they showed. The faith and the strength they showed as they walked this life. They were soldiers, mechanics, ranchers, farmers, pastors, pilots, operators, moms, gardeners, and housewives. Pray-ers, teachers, care givers, and the best examples.

I know it is by design. We are meant to look back. The Bible itself shows us this truth. It holds the greatest examples for us to live by. Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

No comments:

Post a Comment